TURKISH COFFEE CREAMS
Make the world’s most exotic trifle – richly flavoured parfaits topped with chocolates
By Rachel Khoo
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes plus chilling
For the coffee syrup
100 g granulated sugar
30 ml espresso coffee
For the coffee creams
150 ml espresso coffee, or strong coffee
100 ml full fat milk
3 egg yolks
80 g caster sugar
1 heaped tsp cornflour
100 ml double cream
For the mendiants
100 g dark chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp pistachio nuts, chopped
3 dried apricots, cut into strips
2 rose turkish delight, choppped
1. For the coffee syrup: In a small pan over a low heat, slowly bring the sugar and 100ml water to the boil, gently swirling the pan. Simmer briskly for 5-10 minutes, or until thick and glossy. Add the shot of espresso. Pour into a small bowl to cool to room temperature for about 20 minutes then leave to chill in fridge.
2. For the coffee creams: In a medium pan, add the coffee, milk and a pinch of salt and bring to scalding point.
3. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar for 4-5 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Add the cornflour.
4. Slowly pour the hot coffee mixture over the whisked egg mixture, whisking continuously. Return to the pan and continue to whisk over a medium heat until the mixture releases a few bubbles and is very thick and creamy.
5. Take the creamy mixture off the heat, pour into a bowl and stick a piece of cling film directly to the surface of the cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature then place in the fridge to chill.
6. For the mendiants: Draw 6 circles around the serving glasses on baking paper as a guideline – you dont want anything bigger than 6cm in diameter. Place the paper on a tray that will fit in your fridge.
7. Melt the chocolate with a pinch of salt in a pan over simmering water or in a microwave on a low heat. Remove from the heat and leave the chocolate to thicken slightly for 15 minutes.
8. Spoon the melted chocolate onto the circles on baking paper, making them slightly smaller than the circles. Sprinkle some pistachios, apricots and a piece of Turkish delight. Place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to set.
9. For the coffee creams: Whip the double cream to soft peaks. Beat the chilled coffee cream to loosen it up and then fold in the whipped cream. Spoon 1 heaped tablespoon cream into the glasses followed by 1 teaspoon syrup and keep alternating the layers until the cream is used up. There should be roughly 3-4 layers in each glass.
10. Chill until youre ready to serve. Top each cream with the mendiant lid, then serve.
TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
You will need 6 small espresso cups or shot glasses.
The chocolate makes more than what is required for the mendiants but they make wonderful edible gifts. They can be decorated with all sorts of dried fruit, nuts, soft toffee bits and seeds.
The coffee syrup keeps in the fridge in an airtight container for several months. The mendiants will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.
If youre short of time, you can leave out the mendiants and just serve the coffee cream.