Originally posted on:www.Fodishafooddelite.wordpress.com
- Rice Powder – 1 cup
- Green peas (Boiled) – 1 cup
- Carrot (Grated) – 1 cup
- Fresh coconut (Scraped) – ½ cup
- Split green gram (Mung dal) – 2 tsp
- Garlic (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Green chilli (chopped) – 1tbsp
- Mustard seeds(Sarso) – 1 tsp
- Split black gram (Urad dal) – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 2 spring
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Coconut shell (Top Part) – ½ pc
- Salt to taste
- Grind the green peas in a grinder. Use the water which was used for boiling to dilute the paste.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan and crackle ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tbsp split black gram.
- Add ½ tbsp chopped garlic, ½ tbsp green chilli and 8 curry leaves. Stir a while.
- Add the green pea paste and little warm water. Cook it for 3 minutes and keep aside.
- In another pan heat 1 tbsp oil and crackle the ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tbsp split black gram, ½ tbsp garlic and ½ tbsp green chili.
- Add grated carrots, soaked green gram, salt and 1 tbsp tomato puree. Mix it, cover it and cook for 3 – 4 minutes and set aside.
- Add little salt in the rice powder and sprinkle little water and mix it thoroughly so that no lumps are formed.
- Take 1½ litre water in a pressure cooker and cover it with the lid and remove the pressure weight and turn on the flame.
- Take a coconut shell and make the eye of the shell bigger so that it fits perfectly on the cooker outlet.
- Put a thin layer of scraped coconut in the shell, followed by the layer of rice powder, carrot mix and green peas mix. Repeat the layers till the shell is filled. Fix the coconut shell to the pressure outlet and cover it with a lid. Allow it to cook for 5-6 minutes in stream in high flame. Now remove the shell. Vegetable Puttu is ready.
- Serve hot with chutney.
This has been prepared with a pressure cooker and coconut shell without a Puttu Machine.